Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Massing, and getting two beam systems to live nicely together

Mass Objects

Recently, in fact the house that featured in the last post, I needed to put a picture frame around two windows.




Easy, you say, just draw a mass object and job done.  Well maybe not for me!  I think I may have had 3D snapping on, and this caused a lot of pain and woe.

It seems Autocad is a shovel. You can see it, you know what it does, and it is straightforward.
Revit on the other hand is like a magic black box.  You poke it and hope something comes out.

You just have to know it's little ways, which in my case is taking years to find out.

Mind you it could be me. I spent years learning Autocad.  Then at work a person who had never used Autocad got a job in our office. She knew Archicad, and maybe had a quick lesson or two on Autocad at Drafting School, but just came in, sat down and away she went. No questions, just hit the ground running.

I was amazed, this should never happen!

Anyway, with the mass thing I eventually cracked it and put a youtube video up which describes my way of doing it.

I have since found that you can use "generic models" for this sort of thing, and they might be a bit more versatile.

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le60u8EUx1M

Two Beam Systems Together

In this case I was having the decking, made out of a beam system, to sit on top of a set of joists, also a beam system.



Silly me. I found that the minute you put them together, bad things happen!

After much puzzlement, wailing and gnashing of teeth, I found a work around:

Put one beam system on one level and the other on another level, then offset the top one down so it seems to sit on the lower one.

I did make an error in the video, not a big one, but with the 92mm plank I tried to align it with the deck edge, but my first pick should have been the deck edge. Maybe this is just me, but I find this sequence even now, unintuitive.



My Youtube video showing this is at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZctXYJsyCH4

No comments:

Post a Comment