Friday, July 12, 2019

Hedges and True North

I have posted a video on Youtube on these, found at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzmjvXZWtnA


True North:

There will be some who say: "Just so bleedin' obvious, why post about this?"

But there will be some who say that they have tried to mess with the True North business,  but were put off by the usual unusual way of Revit!

I was one of these, but now I realize my fears on this were unfounded.

On trying it out for the first time, my impression was that all my drawing from then on would be on a slant.  Which would be true, if you did not change the view properties back to Project North.

In hindsight, it is a nicely arranged system.  You have two options for a View Orientation, True North and Project North.

As you start a project, both Norths are set pointing up the page.

For ordinary drawing you can leave them like that, no problems.

The fun only begins when  you wish to use say Enscape to do a rendering.  Enscape checks out where your North is, and positions it's sun accordingly.

By the way if you have not tried out Enscape yet, give it a try, an amazing piece of software.  Just make sure you have an Nvidia P2000 to make it run though (cost NZ$800 or so)

To alter your project north just click on Manage and find the button to adjust True North.  A bit of strangeness here: you have to pick where the north is first and then turn the pointer to where it will be. Feels unintuitive, but that is probably just me!

To go back to normal viewing of your plan view, just set your Orientation back to Project North.

Hedging: 

I had a job recently where the client wanted some hedging out front, so I was able to make a fairly rough effort by using a wall and making it's material a piece of seamless hedge image, which I found really quickly on the internet.  It might have been even nicer if a finer image had been chosen, this one is 215x215.

Here it is:

Another better approach might have been to us a mass, and round  its edges slightly.  By this time I was in "I am over this stuff", attitude, never good, because it is always the tiny little bit of extra entourage or effort that result in a better job.

This is how the job ended up, a quadriplex, trying to get it approved by town planners:
(Notice the hedge at the front)





No comments:

Post a Comment